Pride by the Numbers
Greater Palm Springs (GPS) Pride is not only a celebration
highlighting the LGBT civil rights movement, it’s a highly significant, free, and fun cultural tourism attraction. Here are some Pride-worthy statistics.
- American Express Essentials 2019 “12 Pride Events Worth
Traveling for” list and Palm Springs Pride is the destination #5 worth traveling forMay 2019 named to Instinct Magazine’s list of“12 Fabulous Worldwide Events Taking Place During Pride Season”
- Approximate number of contingents participating in the
parade = 200
- Date of the first Palm Springs Pride celebration, seventeen
years after the Stonewall riots in New York = 1986
- No. 1: The position GPS Pride holds in Palm Springs’ most
attended annual 3-day event.
- $24,000,000: Economic impact of GPS Pride as of 2018
- 140,000: Number of attendees at official GPS Pride events
- Palm Springs is home to the largest free California Pride
Festival south of San Francisco
- 21,412,050: Number of photos tagged #pride on Instagram
- 6,000: Number of volunteer hours it takes to put on GPS
- 61%: The amount of Pride attendees who spend more than one
night in a local hotel
- WorldPride in New York 2019 was the largest LGBTQ event in
history, with an official estimate of five million attending Pride weekend in Manhattan alone, including an estimated four million in attendance at the parade. The twelve-hour parade included 150,000 pre-registered participants among 695 groups.